1. De selectie van promovendi
-  TuDelft: PhD Selection Guide. How to get the right PhD candidate. Selecting the right PhD candidate is an important first step in a successful PhD programme. From defining the project through to appointing the PhD candidate, this selection guide enables a professional recruitment and selection of PhD candidates. Meer informatie.
-  Hans Sonneveld: Selection and admission of doctoral candidates. Manual for Doctoral Programs, Graduate and Research Schools. Answering the question “which aspect of the PhD supervision is the most difficult ?” we answer: the selection of doctoral candidates …Why is this part of our job so difficult? What can a director of a doctoral program do to raise the quality of the selection to a higher level? These are the questions we will answer in this chapter. Meer informatie.
2. Onderzoeksontwerp en Promotieplan
- [2007 ] ESTER/Posthumus Research Design Course
European PhD’s in economic and social history write a major paper about their research project, detailing their research questions, hypotheses and research strategy. They present it during the Course to PhD’s coming from several European countries. International experts in the field are present to comment and advice. The course is the international element of the Dutch and Flemish PhD’s following the curriculum of the Posthumus Instituut. Informatie
-  Procedure projectaanvragen Graduate School Faculteit Rechtsgeleerdheid Universiteit van Tilburg
Voor alle promotietrajecten geldt een vaste procedure met het oog op kwaliteitsverbetering van het onderzoeksvoorstel. De Jury voor de Onderzoeksbeoordeling (JOB) buigt zich voor de indiening van het onderzoeksvoorstel in interne of externe competitierondes (in elk geval vóór de daadwerkelijke start ervan) over de wetenschappelijke kwaliteit, de originaliteit, de methoden en de haalbaarheid van alle onderzoeksvoorstellen en gaat ter vergadering in dialoog met de indiener(s) en de beoogde kandidaat-uitvoerder. Informatie
3. Introductie van nieuwe promovendi
-  TuDelft: DE Magazine Your doctoral adventure, your story. “This Magazine is a platform for PhD candidates (Noeska Smit and Eleni Papadonikolaki), alumnus (Robert Nieuwenhuizen), DE trainers (Margaret Welten & Niels Tekke), a supervisor (Fulvio Scarano) and industry (Andre Steenhuis from Allseas) to share with you the importance of the skills that are acquired and how you will apply them to your PhD and future careers. The magazine also shows:
- facts and figures, examples and insights of doctoral candidates about the content of their current job and their acquired skills;
- the DE competences and skills model;
- description of the competences and skills;
- the competency guide to help to review competences and performance levels.”
- TuDelft: Communication and transparency about doing a PhD at TU Delft. More information
4. Beoordeling en begeleiding
-  Erasmus University Rotterdam: Scientific Integrity Policy, including a Dilemma Game specifically focused on professionalism and integrity in research. Meer informatie
-  Procedures, Principles and Good Practices for Supervising PhD Candidates at Wageningen School of Social Sciences. Full text
-  Statuut voor promovendi en promotores; Leidraad voor gesprek tussen promotor/dagelijks begeleider en promovendus Tilburg Law School
Het als bijlage bij dit formulier toegevoegde statuut beoogt enerzijds invulling te geven aan de inhoud van ‘goede begeleiding’ en anderzijds aan te geven hoe die goede begeleiding kan worden gerealiseerd. Vanzelfsprekend is er niet één wijze van goede begeleiding. Op grond van ervaringen vanuit het verleden kan echter wel worden aangegeven wat succesfactoren zijn. Die succesfactoren komen tot uitdrukking in dit document. Daarnaast wordt een lijst aangeboden met diverse aandachtspunten voor een gesprek tussen promotor/dagelijks begeleider en de promovendus.
- Hans Sonneveld (ed.) & EEMCS supervisors, Supervisors at work! Guidance of PhD candidates at the Graduate School of Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science (TU Delft). Graduate School EEMCS, October 2014.
The Graduate School EEMCS wants to get more insight in the way supervisors act when guiding PhD candidates. For that PhD supervisors were consulted. They were asked to give advice to an imaginary new colleague. Besides, eight principal PhD supervisors have been interviewed. The results of both of these exercises have been brought together in this publication. For conveying the different views, we chose for a narrative style in which the reader is addressed by an experienced supervisor. Full text.
-  Educational and Supervision Planning Forms ASSR.
This practice illustrates the potential of the Educational and Supervision Planning
Form. PhD student and supervisor have to fill in the forms in the first three years
of the PhD program. Every form fits into the specific phase of the trajectory. By
way of the form, the school management also collects information for the PhD
Database. The forms illustrate the evaluation practices in three consecutive years.
5. Promotieduur en promotierendement
-  Analysis of graduation delay, Wageningen Institute of Animal Sciences (WIAS)
Although WIAS PhD students graduate faster than the national average, the KNAW advised us, at our re-accreditation in 2000, to reduce graduation delay. First we made an analysis of the causes of graduation delay, and this yielded suggestions for several measures. Median time to graduation has dropped from 5.2 (cohort 1994) to 4.7 years (cohorts after 1997).
6. De kwaliteit van dissertaties
-  Sonneveld, H. The Quality of ASSR dissertations. An analysis of opinions on the qualities of theses defended by PhD recipients of the Amsterdam School for Social science Research.Abstract.
In 2002, the Amsterdam School by way of its executive director has started to collect evaluative data on the quality of the 100 dissertations that have been defended by ASSR PhD students. The author was able to lay hands on just a few documents. To compensate for the absence of elaborated evaluations, the author has asked the supervisors with a considerable number of PhD recipients to describe the strong and weak qualities of the theses that have been defended under their responsibility. The comments that are presented in the report cover 41 dissertations. PDF-bestand
7. De arbeidsmarkt voor gepromoveerden
-  WIAS Workshop Career Coaching
PhD students and their supervisors are focused on the PhD thesis and not on the
student’s career after graduation. We offer our PhD students courses and
assessments to prepare for that later career, but the coaching role of supervisors in
career orientation was still a blind spot. Therefore, we organised a workshop
‘Career Coaching’ for PhD students and their supervisors.